Friday, August 27, 2010

What Happened to Secular Education?




I'm fairly certain my school isn't catholic, but somehow I ended up at mass today insted of in English class. Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore (does anyone else think this is a bad analogy?). But back to the point, I'm pretty sure everyone here is catholic. Apparently when I say I'm Christian this gets misconstrued as me being evangelical or something. I'm not quite clear on that.
Well, despite my little run-in with religion, things have been going fairly well. My Spanish is getting better, but it's still not up to writing-a-presenttion-for-lenguaje level. Yeah, that went well. The conclusion I've come to is that school here is easier (with the possible exception of Spanish). I'm actually doing well in math... don't sound so shocked! The other conclusion I've come to is that books here are expensive. While you can buy a full meal here for under 1000 pesos (2 bucks), the book I have to read for school came out to around 6500 pesos (yeah, thirteen bucks) in paperback! This probably doesn't matter because it's not like I'm going through reading material very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment