Monday, December 6, 2010

Paseo de Curso Among Other Things





The last week or so has been pretty awesome for me. It was the last full week of school so we had finals but there was also a bunch of time to hang out and my friends taught me some cool Chilean card games. Yesterday was actually my paseo de curso which is kind of like a class field-trip that we took to the beach to celebrate the end of school. We went to a beach called Loreto which is about an hour or an hour and a half from Copiapó where we rented a cabin. The official paseo was only for the day but about half of my class aranged to spend the night there. I only stayed for the day but I had an amazing time! We played some cards with my cool New York deck, we went to the beach and swam in the freezing Pacific, we walked around a lot which I should not have been doing barefoot. After lunch which was an asado (surprise!) we walked to Bahía Inglesa which is a beautiful beach a supposed 15 minute walk from where we were staying. It turned out to be more like 45 minutes, but it was still fun. We went swimming there and the water is so clear! Everybody took a bunch of pictures and I'm posting mine to Facebook as I write if you want to stalk me. My curso even gave me a gift, an Indio Picaro. It was adorable! I think this is the first time in my life that I've been sad about school ending. I feel like I'm finally starting to fit into my Curso and have a place there and now school is over. I'll still go tomorrow to get my final grades and on Thursday there's an acto de premicaión which is some kind of ceremony in which they give out prizes for the best average and a bunch of other stuff. I have an invitation for me and my family for the cuadro de honor, actually I think all of the exchange students do, but it should be cool. Among other exciting things that have happened this week, Friday and Saturday was the Teletón. It is a telethon as in a 24 hour TV show to raise money, but it's so much more than that! It's something that Chile does every two years (I think)to raise money for disabled children. The have a bunch of famous artists perform and people donate money. This year they were trying to and succeeded in raising 16,000,000,000 pesos I think. I get increidbly confused by the size of number here. It was lot of money though. They also showed a lot of stories of people who had been helped by the teletón. It made me cry. They also do shows in all of the major cities and there was one in the Copiapó plaza. My host-mom, my host-sister and I went to the bank to donate and afterwards they got teletón related massages. Saturday night was an AFS thing. We went to my tía Cecilia's house for a culinary night. Everybody cooked something from their country. Nook cooked Pad-Thai, Annika cooked Kartoffelsuppe and Butterkuchen and Julien cooked Quiche Lorraine. I made monster cookies. It was really fun and we talked and hung out as well as eating some Chilean food. So that's basically all of the highlights of the last few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment