Friday, January 7, 2011

Erika Sucks at Keeping her Blog Updated





It's been what, like a month since I've updated this? Yeah sorry about that. I've been really busy with the holidays and everything and this whole summer thing is just making me lazy. My biggest news is that I'm changing schools next year. San Agustin, the school I was at last semester was great, I made awesome friends there and I had a lot of good times, but I think that I'll have good times and awesome friends at the Escuela Técnica Profesional (ETP) too. It's right around the corner from my house and my host-sister is starting there in primero medio next year. The really exciting thing is that I'm going to be studying metalurgy! It's because it was the only curso with enough room, but I get to wear steel toed boots so it's all good. Other than that there was Copiapó's birthday parade on the 8th of December. People danced Cueca and all of the schools were represented by students with their uniforms.
We also had an exciting AFS event last month. The volunteers set up a flee market in Caldera (a port town near here) and all of the exchange students made posters about their countries. After that we had an Asado and we talked with the Chileans postulating to go abroad.
I supose I should mention something about Christmas and New Years too. Well Christmas here is really different in a lot of ways. We got all dressed up and ate dinner on Christmas eve. We had a Peruvian themed appetizer (I love Peruvian food, it's almost all seafood!) Couscous and lamb for the main course and suspiro Limeña which is basically manjar with merengue for desert. After dinner we opened presents and then everyone went to bed at like three in the morning. My host-brother got an X-box Kinect which basically allows you to play video games without using a controller. It's kind of awesome! The day after Christmas we went to my host-family's beach house to celebrate my host-sister's birthday. Out of curiosity, do any of you know of somebody who has fallen out of the top story of a bunk bed while asleep? Let me answer that for you, yes you do. After that fun little experience we went home for a couple of days before heading to La Serena for New Years. We got all dressed up (again, but I was cool with it this time because I had an awesome pruple dress and heels) and went out to a restaurant for dinner. We ate and talked and after midnight everyboy toasted and started dancing. I still don't think I've gotten the hang of this whole dancing thing. It was a lot of fun though! We stayed out until like 4 am. The next day we went to the Valle to visit some of my host-mom's cousins and we had an asado. We also visited a dam with an awesome view of the valle. The following day I went fishing with my host-dad and kind of broke his fishing reel. I'm never going to live that one down! Now we're back in Copiapó and I've been getting a little bit bored of summer. I went to my first yoga class today though! It was fun and I felt really relaxed afterwards! Tomorrow we have the despedida or going away party for the AFSers leaving in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment